What is OSHC?
OSHC is Overseas Student Health Cover in Australia. It is a health insurance which is obligatory if you apply for student visa.
This insurance is valid since your arrival to Australia. You usually have to pick up your health cover card from reception of your school after the beginning of your course or at your insurance company office.
The period of cover should be:
- the length of your visa
What is covered by OSHC?
All information are based on Medibank Private:
100% of Medicare Benefits Schedule fee*
|Specialists, blood tests, X-ray etc.||85% of Medicare Benefits Schedule fee*|
|In hospital medical services (specialists, pathology – blood tests, X-ray)||100% of Medicare Benefits Schedule fee*|
| Public hospitals:
100% of charge
Private hospital with an agreement with insurance company
|100% of charge|
Private hospital without an agreement with insurance company
Charges may vary between hospitals
|Prescribed medicines||Maximum AU$50 per prescription items; if the medicine costs less than AU$30 you have to pay it|
|Ambulance Services (when medically necessary for admission to hospital or for emergency treatment.||
100% of charge
* The health insurance company pay the benefits according to the Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS).
Each service has the MBS fee that has been set by the Australian Government for the purpose of calculating the benefits payable for that service.
If the actual fee charged by your doctor is higher (which is usually the case), your insurance company will only refund you the fee set by Medicare.
If you are sick and need to see a doctor, you must pay the doctor at the time of your visit(usually by cash or credit card).
Then you can claim to have your money back.
What is not covered by OSHC?Standard OSHC does not cover health service such as:
- optical appliances (e.g. prescription glasses),
- physiotherapy or alternative therapies.
If you would like to be covered for these additional health services, or you expect that you will need these services in Australia, you have to buy a extras cover insurance.
- If you intend to extend your study in Australia, you are have to extend your health insurance (OSHC). We can arrange the Medibank Private insurance for you straight in Information offices!
- The health services covered by your insurance (OSHC) are valid only in Australia. If you are going to New Zealand or travel to some other country, we recommend you to pay for some travel insurance for the time of your journey!